Shipbreaking Health and Safety Plan Development and Training
A total 12, 480 contact hours of training was provided to 530 employees of shipbreakers at Navy and MARAD locations in Brownsville Texas, the hub of shipbreaking activity in the U.S.
- International Shipbreaking Limited
- All Star Metals LLC
- Esco Marine
- Marine Metals
- PETE and subcontractor, Kirkwood Community College,
- Prepare a 16-hour curriculum for Safety Plan Development and Modification for supervisors and managers, based on continuing risk assessment of hazards, during the first quarter of the project;
- Package existing OSHA materials for Workers in the shipbreaking industry in 1-2-hour training blocks and translate them into Spanish, during the first quarter of the project;
- Secure Advisory Committee and OSHA approval of the curriculum;
- Provide 16 hours of training in Safety Plan Development and Modification, based on risk assessment, for 30 supervisors and managers in the shipbreaking industry over a six-month period;
- Provide 24 hours of training in English and Spanish for 500 workers and supervisors in 1-2 hour training blocks at four committed Brownsville shipbreaking industries over a six-month period;
- Evaluate training and follow-up with employers.